This singular Vauban-style Gailhousty lock was built in 1770, before the opening of the Canal de Jonction.
The Gailhousty is composed of two locks. The one closest to the river Aude is used as a drydock to repair boats. The architecture of the building on the left bank is very typical of the Louis XVI period. On each facade, a triangle-shaped pediment bears the arms of Monseigneur Dillon, archbishop of Narbonne.
This building used to host the administration, then Voies Navigables de France (VNF) and finally a lock keeper. The Gailhousty should also have served as an épanchoir.
Fifteen sluice gates make water flow through a canal called “la Saignée” (drainage channel). They transport a portion of the river Aude’s water towards the Étang de Capestang (Capestang’s pond). Because of the French Revolution, the works were stopped before being completed so the whole system is not optimal.
In the vicinity lies the Bois de la Nation, a leisure area with picnic facilities where people can spend time in the shade of the trees.