2,500 years of history
The first written mention of Sallèles-d’Aude dates back to 924 AD. However, the village was already occupied during the Antiquity as shown by the vestiges found at the archaeological site of Amphoralis.
Blessed with great quantities of clay, water, fuel and transport routes, people settled there at the time created a potters’ workshop.
During this period, the port activities of Sallèles-d’Aude were based on wine transportation and the production of bricks, tiles, pipes, amphorae and tableware.
Later, in 1776, the digging of the Canal de Jonction that links the Canal du Midi and its extension the Canal de la Robine, deeply modifies the local economy and the evolution of the village. Gradually, the village centre moves closer to the waterway to better take advantage of the water activities whose peak will be during the 19th century.
One could come across a lot of different people on the Canal de Jonction starting with lock keepers, bargemen, barge repairmen, fishermen and wine traders.
Les pecheurs de sable Sallèles d’Aude, pêcheurs de sable, 1920 (coll Sicard)
Origin of the name Sallèles d’Aude
It is quite difficult to explain the origin of this name. Nevertheless, one can assume that Salellea is composed of the 2 Latin words Salis and Ellea that can mean Salt Shop. After the Middle Ages, the name evolved into Salela, then Sallèles Rive d’Aude in 1790 and finally Sallèles-d’Aude nowadays.
Péniche de transport