Saint Roch chapel
According to the legend, Saint Roch came to Sallèles-d’Aude while travelling to treat the pestiferous. In 1630, during the plague outbreaks in the Narbonne area, people decided to pay tribute to the holy man and to dedicate a chapel to him. It was erected in Sallèles-d’Aude in 1654.
Shaped like a capsized boat hull, this 17th century building is a real architecture jewel. Inside, two columns made of marble from Caunes-Minervois enhance the simplicity of the place. Saint Roch’s painting is listed as a historical monument.
Today the chapel is managed by the “Amis de Saint Roch” association that takes care of its maintenance and its standing.
Each year on August 16th, the association celebrates the “Saint Roch festival” with a mass followed by a procession and the blessing of horses.